Monday, May 28, 2012

What to Pack for a Ballet Summer Intensive

I've mentioned that I like to plan things... I put together a list that will help you make sure you have everything you need to have the perfect time at your summer intensive. :) Enjoy!
(BTW: If you're traveling by plane, make sure you check out the regulations for what you're allowed to take!)

Toiletries:
[ ] Deodorant
[ ] Brush
[ ] Comb
[ ] Body Lotion
[ ] Body Spray
[ ] Blow Dryer
[ ] Flat/Curling Iron
[ ] Toothbrush
[ ] Toothpaste
[ ] Hairspray/Gel
[ ] Bobby pins
[ ] Hairnets
[ ] Hair clips/flowers/bows
[ ] Hair ties
[ ] Water squirt bottle
[ ] Makeup
[ ] Manicure/Pedicure Equipment
[ ] Floss
[ ] Mouthwash
[ ] Face wash/Makeup remover
[ ] Retainers
[ ] Feminine Products
[ ] Headbands
[ ] Chapstick/lip balm
[ ] Epsom salt

Medicine/First Aid*
[ ] Neosporin
[ ] Tylenol/Ibuprofen
[ ] Vitamins
[ ] Band-aids
[ ] Hydrogen Peroxide
[ ] Icy Hot
[ ] Rubbing alcohol
[ ] Ace bandage

Shower
[ ] Razors**
[ ] Shaving Cream
[ ] Body soap
[ ] Shampoo
[ ] Conditioner
[ ] Bath Squeegee
[ ] Shower shoes***

Laundry
[ ] Laundry basket
[ ] Bleach
[ ] Laundry soap
[ ] Dryer sheets
[ ] Stain remover
[ ] Quarters for machines

For Your Dorm Room:
[ ] Hand soap
[ ] Tissue box
[ ] Toilet paper
[ ] Towels
[ ] Bath rug
[ ] Hair supply container
[ ] Toothbrush & toothpaste holder
[ ] Lysol spray/oust/Clorox wipes
[ ] Hand sanitizer
[ ] Paper towels
[ ] Non-reusable plates and utensils
[ ] Journal (for information about dance journalism, click here)
[ ] Pens and pencils
[ ] Paper
[ ] Stamps
[ ] Envelopes
[ ] Scissors
[ ] Extra blanket
[ ] Pictures and things from home
[ ] Mattress cover (for lumpy dorm beds)
[ ] Sheets/pillows (if not provided by dorm)
[ ] Movies
[ ] Books
[ ] Playing cards

Electronics
[ ] Cell phone
[ ] Cell phone charger
[ ] Flashlight
[ ] Extra batteries
[ ] Camera
[ ] Camera charger
[ ] iPod/MP3 player
[ ] iPod/MP3 player charger

Activities on Weekends
[ ] Refillable water bottle
[ ] Umbrella
[ ] Beach towel
[ ] Sunscreen
[ ] Hat
[ ] Mini backpack/purse
[ ] Wallet
[ ] Sunglasses
[ ] Watch
[ ] Money
[ ] Disposable camera

Clothes
[ ] Bathing suits(s)
[ ] Bras/Panties
[ ] Sneakers
[ ] Flip-flops
[ ] Slippers
[ ] Jeans/Pants
[ ] Capri pants
[ ] Shorts
[ ] T-shirts/tank tops
[ ] Pajamas
[ ] Sweaters/jackets
[ ] Socks
[ ] Hangers

Dance Clothes
[ ] Leotards
[ ] Tights
[ ] Jazz pants/shorts
[ ] Warm-ups

In Your Dance Bag
[ ] Extra leotard
[ ] Extra tights
[ ] Alignment belts
[ ] Ballet skirts
[ ] Legwarmers
[ ] Sweater
[ ] Socks
[ ] Nail clippers
[ ] Therabands
[ ] Pointe shoes/ribbons/elastics
[ ] Pointe shoe bag
[ ] Toe tape
[ ] Lamb's wool
[ ] Toe spacers
[ ] Toe pads
[ ] Tennis ball
[ ] Mini sewing kit
[ ] Mini deodorant
[ ] Mini brush
[ ] Comb
[ ] Lotion
[ ] Mini toothbrush & toothpaste
[ ] Extra bobby pins & hairnets
[ ] First aid kit
[ ] Scissors
[ ] Energy bars
[ ] Compact mirror
[ ] Feminine products
[ ] Microwavable snacks
[ ] All dance shoes***

Misc.
[ ] Money
[ ] Dance Bag
[ ] Contact lenses & case
[ ] Contact lens solution
[ ] Glasses & case
[ ] Ice packs/heating pads
[ ] Ziploc bags for ice
[ ] Lunch box
[ ] Any paperwork****

*First aid supplies should be in your dance bag
**Remember that bringing razors in your bag if you are traveling by plane is probably not a good idea
***Bring appropriate shoes for whatever classes you will be taking
****Medical forms, etc.

I hope you enjoyed the list and comment anything I've forgotten!

11 comments:

  1. this is a really great list- I just got accepted to the bolshoi summer program and I NEEDED SOME HELP with the packing :) lol I'm obsessing about it even though its months away

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really exciting! I haven't ever auditioned for the Bolshoi, is it hard to get in? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DO you think I could bring my dance bag on as a "carry on" with all those items in there??? Anwser ASAP!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! That's what I did last year when I went away. Just go on the airport's website to make sure your dancebag fits the carry on requirements.

      Delete
  4. Great advice for people who love dancing! Now I know what to do in summer dance intensive Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. long list of things. Make these things ready for my summer dance intensive Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is an old forum or whatever they are called but I do recommend bringing medication as well(Tylenol, ibuprofen, Advil,or even vitamins) . For those headaches or general aches and pains:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is an old forum or whatever they are called but I do recommend bringing medication as well(Tylenol, ibuprofen, Advil,or even vitamins) . For those headaches or general aches and pains:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remember you can always buy stuff at a store/drugstore when you get there so there is really no need to bring stuff like hangers, shampoo/conditioner, razors(Don't bring anyway if flying), etc. But bring one/two washes worth just in case you can't get to the store in time. Hangers can wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another little tip is to buy some toiletries when you arrive in the city, because packing them can be difficult. Also, see if you can ship boxes to the place, because then you can fit a ton more stuff. Not all summer courses provide this option. Have fun dancing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi!! I am a very serious, young dancer. I am 12 and dance 20+ hours a week. This past February I auditioned for my first ballet summer intensive. I live in Massachusetts, so I decided to audition for The Boston Ballet School. To my joy I got excepted and I am ready to spent 5 weeks of my summer dancing! I am very excited, but as June is creeping up on me, I have become quite nervous. Any tips (dorm, making friends, homesickness, sore muscles, etc.) If so, please reply ASAP. Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete